History of Mikkelin Klubi

History of Mikkelin Klubi

The traditional Mikkelin Klubi was founded in 1898. It was a place where its members could gather to read papers, socialise, play parlour games, eat meals and enjoy spending time leisurely in the company of friends. That is still the goal now over a century on.

Klubi has operated in the centre of Mikkeli in nine different locations, in its current place for the longest period, since the autumn of 1940. The venue was fully renovated in the summer of 1995. The traditional hall’s furniture and light fittings are original and were restored using donations.

Mikkelin Klubi organises presentations and events for its members as well as the statutory club meetings every month except over the summer. The catering is provided by catering restaurant Mikkelin Klubi. The traditional hall can also be booked by non-members.

Main picture (Mikkeli City Museums):

The Marshal of Finland Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim and his party enjoying dinner at Mikkelin Klubi.

MARSHAL’S CLUB

The name Marshal’s club came about during the Continuation War. In June 1941, the Headquarters hired a section of Mikkelin Klubi’s restaurant hall with its lobby for the use of the commander-in-chief, Marshal Mannerheim. For almost four years, the commander-in-chief and his closest staff ate their lunches and dinners at the club whenever they stayed in Mikkeli.

The commander-in-chief entertained guests including the President of Finland on numerous occasions, ministers, field commanders, diplomats, liaison officers etc. The commander-in-chief often invited his guests to Mikkelin Klubi for lunch or dinner and that is how the Marshal’s club or the Marshal’s court as it was also known came about.

Picture (Mikkeli City Museums):

Eduard Dietl, Marshal Mannerheim, General Erfhurth, Heinrichs having coffee at Mikkelin Klubi.

MARSKIN RYYPPY SCHNAPPS

During his service in the Russian army, Marshal Mannerheim had learnt to enjoy the schnapps that accompanied meals, one with lunch and two with dinner. This tradition was continued at the commander-in-chief’s meals at Mikkelin Klubi. And just like in Russia before, the perk was enjoyed filled to the brim at Mikkelin Klubi too. This is how Marksin Ryyppy schnapps was invented.

After the war, Mikkelin Klubi continued the commander-in-chief’s schnapps tradition and has since then registered Marskin Ryyppy as its own trademark. Klubi’s cooperation partner Lignell & Piispanen owns the Marskin Ryyppy trademark.

MARSHAL’S CLUB

The name Marshal’s club came about during the Continuation War. In June 1941, the Headquarters hired a section of Mikkelin Klubi’s restaurant hall with its lobby for the use of the commander-in-chief, Marshal Mannerheim. For almost four years, the commander-in-chief and his closest staff ate their lunches and dinners at the club whenever they stayed in Mikkeli.

The commander-in-chief entertained guests including the President of Finland on numerous occasions, ministers, field commanders, diplomats, liaison officers etc. The commander-in-chief often invited his guests to Mikkelin Klubi for lunch or dinner and that is how the Marshal’s club or the Marshal’s court as it was also known came about.

Picture (Mikkeli City Museums):

Eduard Dietl, Marshal Mannerheim, General Erfhurth, Heinrichs having coffee at Mikkelin Klubi.

MARSKIN RYYPPY SCHNAPPS

During his service in the Russian army, Marshal Mannerheim had learnt to enjoy the schnapps that accompanied meals, one with lunch and two with dinner. This tradition was continued at the commander-in-chief’s meals at Mikkelin Klubi. And just like in Russia before, the perk was enjoyed filled to the brim at Mikkelin Klubi too. This is how Marksin Ryyppy schnapps was invented.

After the war, Mikkelin Klubi continued the commander-in-chief’s schnapps tradition and has since then registered Marskin Ryyppy as its own trademark. Klubi’s cooperation partner Lignell & Piispanen owns the Marskin Ryyppy trademark.

Restaurant chains

Amarillo
Bistro
Chico's
Coffee House
Frans & les Femmes
Grill it!
Hesburger
Hophaus
La Famiglia
Oksa
Oluthuoneet
PizzaBuffa
Presso
Prisma Cafe
Public Corner
Rosso
Rosso Express
Rosso Pizza
Spaghetteria
Trattoria
VENN

SOK Travel and Hospitality Industry Chain Management

Street address
Fleminginkatu 34, 00510 Helsinki
Telephone
+358 10 76 8011 (weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm) EUR 0.0835 per call + EUR 0.1209 per minute
Postal address
P.O. Box 1, 00088 S GROUP, Finland
Business ID
0116323-1